Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Off the Road #1

From my flight to L.A. - The circle in the dirt is the Meteor Crater outside Flagstaff, AZ.

So I'm Back in Dallas after a whirlwind tour of the Northern and Southwestern states. Home again to try to remotely convince the studios that they were stupid to let me go and we'll just see if I decide to come back again. Hmph!

The decision was made to pack it in after a clean sweep of strike outs at the major studios in L.A. Pixar was the last holdout. It was an honor to be nominated. A phone interview with Patrick Lin and a couple DP's isn't too shabby but it doesn't really work on a resume: Special Skills - nearly talked my way into the biggest CG studio on the planet.

Took the opportunity to hook up with the guys from Imagi. Everybody had something good going on and they were very supportive. Adam's trying to land us on Tron2. Chuck is having way too much fun at my job on Tinkerbell. Josh is making inroads at my job at Dreamworks. Funny story, I got a call from Meredith at DWA saying 'Don't call us, we'll call you'. Apparently, all those submissions to Creative Heads and shout-outs actually go somewhere and I managed to piss off the hiring chick. Hey, if they didn't want submissions, they should stop posting open positions.

Next was the crew screening of Kung-Fu Panda. Awesome! That was a bittersweet capper to my first stab at Tinseltown. All that great work up on screen and not much to show for it. The crew was happy to see me and expressed sympathy for the situation. They'd all love to have me back but it sounds like it is totally out of their hands. Hope I get a poster.

No comments: